Written by Tami Charles and illustrated by Jacqueline Alcantara
Pre Reading Questions
Post Reading Questions
Overview: In Freedom Soup, Bella and Ti Gran work together to create Freedom Soup to celebrate the New Year and freedom in Haiti. In this activity, you will work together to create our own version of Freedom Soup made out of paper! As you are working with your groups, think about how Bella and Ti Gran worked together harmoniously to create the soup together, each doing their parts together until the soup was ready to be served.
● Construction paper
● Color pencils
● Color pieces of felt (optional)
● Color print outs of the food templates (may need multiple copies depending on group size). Download templates.
● A large piece of brown or white butcher paper
● Freedom Soup recipe (in the back of the book)
Duration: 35 – 40 minutes (for staff: 5-minute pre-activity set up and 10-15 minute prep)
● 5 minutes – Introduce the activity and relate the activity to the book. Put students into small groups (no more than 4 students per group), and let students pick their ingredient
● 15 – 20 minutes – Students work with their groups to create their ingredient based on the template
● 5 minutes – Clean up activity
● 5 minutes – Student groups glue or tape their ingredient to the butcher paper
● 5 minutes – Reflect