Written by Helaine Becker and illustrated by Dow Phumiruk
Pre Reading Questions
Post Reading Questions
Overview: In the books, Mae Among the Stars and Counting on Katherine, we saw two women who worked extremely hard to reach their goals. Both women showed initiative and work hard toward their goals. What do you want to be when you grow up and what do you need to do to get there? How can you take initiative in your life to reach those goals?
Duration: 40 – 45 minutes (for staff: 5 pre-activity set up and 15-20 minute prep)
● 5 minutes: Introduce the activity using the book and examples
● 5-10 minutes: Cut out both star templates.
● 15 minutes: Write goals and what i s needed to achieve goals. Color.
● 5 minutes: Glue stars together with pencil between them. Add ribbon (optional).
● 5 minutes: Clean up activity
● 5 minutes: Reflect