Written by and illustrated by Francesca Sanna
Pre Reading Questions
Post Reading Questions
Overview: In the book The Journey, we learned about a family who had to leave their home, the people that they loved, and many of their belongings behind. If you only had 10 minutes to pack, and could only bring 10 items, what would you bring in your backpack? What types of items do you think a refugee family might need when they get to safety? Work in groups to make a list of items you think a family might need and brainstorm ways to get these items for them.
● Backpack template on printer paper. Download the backpack template.
● Brainstorming sheet on printer paper and cut in half, one sheet per partner (Printed on separate paper from the backpack). Download the brainstorming template.
Duration: 35 minutes (for staff: 5-minute pre-activity setup, 5-minute prep)
● 5 minutes: Introduce the activity
● 10 minutes: What would you take in your backpack?
● 10 minutes: Brainstorm with a partner
● 5 minutes: Clean up
● 5 minutes: Reflect and share