Written by Ibtihaj Muhammad
Pre Reading Questions
Post Reading Questions
Overview: Did you know that the author of The Proudest Blue, Ibtihaj Muhammad, is an Olympic medalist in fencing and was the first Muslim American woman to wear a hijab while competing in the Olympics for the US? How cool! Nike also sponsored Ms. Muhammad and created the first-ever Nike sports hijab just for her! See the Nike ad with Ms. Muhammad here.
In this activity, you will create keychains that represent you. You can choose different color beads to represent your family, your favorite foods, your home, the activities you love, etc. Every keychain will be different and each bead color will mean something different to each person!
Scan the code to watch the Nike Ad with Ms. Muhammad.
● Index cards (cut in half, one half per student)
● Multicolor beads
● Pipe cleaners
● Color pencils
● Pencils or pens
● Laminator (optional if available)
● Laminating sheets (optional)
Duration: 30 minutes (for staff: 5 pre-activity set up and 5-minute prep)
● 5 minutes: Introduce the activity, show the video, show the example and give some examples
● 15 minutes: Create the keychains and write the color key
● 5 minutes: Clean up activity.
● 5 minutes: Reflect